[Dprglist] Oak-D Lite

Paul Bouchier paul.bouchier at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 14:37:38 PST 2022

Hi David - I've been playing with mine too, and got similar results. The
way you get to view depth data is by clicking the top-left drop-down and
selecting "depth". The display will change to a depth map.

The most useful ROS demo I've found is roslaunch depthai_examples
stereo_nodelet.launch, with gives an rviz window with depth data in the 3D
rviz orbital view, and left camera image in an image panel. The nodelets
consume 33% of a laptop CPU. It's a bit worryingly high for an rpi4, but we
shall see.

This is a very good video explaining how the SW stack works
https://youtu.be/e_uPEE_zlDo

One thing I've discerned so far is there are layers and layers of SW
involved here. The ROS stereo_nodelet demo fires up the depthai interface,
a rosbridge to bring data from the native interface into ros, and publisher
nodelets to publish the plethora of topics it publishes. The bridge and

I now perceive the camera as a thing that has stereo cameras and can
produce a depth image, and quite separate from that, an neural network
inference engine into which one can download various CNNs and run them to
produce typical image recognition results. IOW a 3-in one device: webcam,
CNN-engine, and stereo depth camera.

Paul