[Dprglist] [Dprg_roborama_committee] DYI 360 degee spinning LiDAR

Doug Paradis paradug at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 09:49:38 PST 2020

Ron,
     I agree about the rotation rate. I am also not a big fan of the
VL5xL0X sensors, but I haven't tried the VL53L0x. I do think the project
shows the issues that need to be addressed. If I were just starting out
with nothing, I would prefer to just buy a RPLidar A1M8 from Robotshop.or
DFRobot.  It has a scan rate between 1 and 10 Hz with 5.5 Hz used to get 1
reading per degree.

    For indoors, this would be a good unit to have in your new simulator.
For outdoors (and also indoors) you might want to allow for the Benewake
line of sensors and the LiDAR-Lite. These are not scanning LiDARs, but have
larger range and are usable outdoors.

Regards,
Doug P.