[Dprglist] [Dprg_roborama_committee] DYI 360 degee spinning LiDAR

Chris N netterchris at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 15:02:08 PST 2020

My 2 cents:

Definitely an impressive design, i.e. from an electro-mechanical point of view, but given that the cost of the RPLidar A1 (and its clones) is <$100, I’m just not sure its worth it.  Maybe it has a form-factor advantage in some situations?

Since it has 2 sensors, the effective rotation rate is actually equivalent to 120RPM, but that is still too slow!

I find that even the 300RPM of the RPLidar A1 is too slow for a robot that moves faster than a turtle – at least in my experience with the navigation stack in ROS (e.g. Gmapping or hector slam).

I have cranked it up to almost 600RPM (10Hz), but at that rate, my Pololu Romi base was shaking quite a bit…..I suppose on a larger / heavier base this would be fine and I should probably try that at some point.

The problem with 300RPM is that the laser scan gets significantly warped as a result of robot motion, especially when the robot is turning.

I might have mentioned it already to this group, but I have actually spent significant amounts of energy on a lidar data de-warping logic earlier this year.   Got it to work, but it didn’t seem to improve the SLAM performance much – there are probably navigation stack parameters that need to be tuned properly…….That’s just one of the many complexities in ROS……

My code for the Lidar de-warping is here:  Experiments with de-warping lidar scans
Discussion on answers.ros.org: How to deal with slow RPLidar scan rate on fast moving robot?

The code is in the form of a ROS node, but the core logic can be used outside of ROS of course.  Anyway, if somebody is doing Lidar and is finding the speed of the RPLidar to be an issue (due to warping), let me know and I can provide more details.

It was kind of fun (but exhausting) applying some math to create this de-warping logic, but if at some point I decide to get serious again about ROS and Lidar, maybe I will just pony up the $600 for a RPLIdar A3:   25 meter range,  16K samples /second,  1200RPM (20Hz).     Monitoring eBay for a good deal…..

Chris.