[Dprglist] uber death

Mary Mathias mjmmaker at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 08:23:36 PDT 2018

Autonomous, large robotic vehicles actually *should* be designed to be
safer than human driven ones.  That is one of the largely touted selling
points for these vehicles.  So, shadows and light that affect mere human
drivers should *not* be an impairment for any large or any otherwise
potentially lethal autonomous robot.  After all, even the simple ultrasonic
sensors can detect obstacles in the dark.   One would think any large
autonomous vehicle out on the roads would be equipped with an over
abundance of redundant types of high end obstacle sensors to make sure it
is MUCH safer than a human driving it.  The same goes for road condition
sensing, construction zone issues, accident site and emergency vehicle
recognition...and on and on.

Obviously there will inevitably be those cases where a child runs directly
into the path of a vehicle or an adult is mentally impaired to the point of
practically throwing themselves directly in front of it so that the braking
or avoidance steering is not able to overcome the momentum.  But the true
goal of even creating these vehicles should be to make it respond *better* than
a human driver in all conditions.

My personal slant is that if we humans are determined to replace ourselves
with non-humans then we need to make sure they are truly better than us.
(Of course, either way we basically classify ourselves as expendable life
forms...get run over sometimes..."oh well"...or have machines so much
better than us that we are simply downgraded.)

Aren't I just a little ray of sunshine here?  :-)
~MJ