[Dprglist] I need some opinions....

Carl Ott carl.ott.jr at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 16:29:54 PST 2022

I'm really torn on this question. I think it really depends on one's
priorities.  Personally - I'd like (at least) a decent one of each (a
dedicated mixed-signal scope AND a USB mixed-signal scope).  To be honest -
I've survived since forever with just a 2 or 4 channel scope - really
haven't had to rely on a logic analyzer or even a JTAG adapter.  I'm sure
they add value, but...

It's hard to beat a decent physical scope with it's own screen and well
laid-out physical knobs. No worries about allocating a laptop or screen and
no concern for uncertified hardware drivers or aging hardware drivers for
Windows. And unless you pay a premium for one of the better USB scopes,
I'll bet you'll generally find better analog front ends and better controls
(like BW limit) on a dedicated scope.

On the other hand - I've really enjoyed my old Hantek DSO-2090 USB Scope.
It fits in a backpack for easy travel but most of the time it sits on my
desk with a 2012 era laptop that would otherwise collect dust. For those
rare occasions that I actually need it - e.g. to check signal voltages /
pullups or watch activity on my custom SPI interface from a Pi 3B+ to a
Mega 2560 - this setup gives a 19" oscilloscope screen. Just try to find a
dedicated scope with a built-in 19" display.  And by default - it let's me
easily and cleanly share the 'scope screen during our online DPRG meetings
without a 'relatively kludgy' camera. I'm sure that modern dedicated
portable scopes can do great screenshots. But if the oscilloscope is
already just another window on the desktop - seems that could provide great
flexibility.  Also - a caveat.  After dinging 'cheaper' USB scopes for
likely having 'lesser' analog front ends - I have to say that the USB
DSO-2090 range knobs do just fine. I can hear relays click to scale
different voltage ranges to make best use of 8 bit resolution. Stay away
from working on high dynamic range low noise analog amplifiers and it'll be
just fine.

Side note - Sorry Harold I feel really bad about upselling those Pokit Pro
gadgets knowing that they were so late the first time. This delay makes
twice in a row for them. I hoped they would have learned from their first
outing which had a similar delivery delay.  Unfortunately this 'oh sorry -
slipped again' excuse thing is clearly part of their DNA. Fortunately,
their first model remains well done & really cool. So hopefully the new
ones we ordered will finally show soon and wow us as 'worth the wait'...

- Carl