[Dprglist] Yet Another Robot Platform

Chris N netterchris at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 15:26:09 PST 2021

“YARP is plumbing for robot software”

“YARP supports building a robot control system as a collection of programs communicating in a peer-to-peer way”

Interesting….     So basically a ROS-like framework.

But why would somebody who needs a fancy framework want to use Yarp vs. ROS ?

“YARP has been more used in the domain of humanoid robots and developmental robotics, where skills such as visual and tactile perception, human robot interaction, dexterous manipulation, and legged locomotion are central, whereas ROS has higher focus on mobile robots and provides more tools on navigation, depth”

Ok so maybe it doesn’t target the exact same use cases as ROS but in my opinion, unless Yarp can do 80% of the things that ROS can do at 20% of the complexity, I’m not sure they have a good value proposition.

Just my $0.02……