[Dprglist] Odometry Calculations

Murray Altheim murray18 at altheim.com
Fri Aug 20 22:10:48 PDT 2021

On 21/08/21 4:21 pm, David P. Anderson via DPRGlist wrote:
> Hi Murray,
>
> Thanks for the feedback and the generous offer.  A book, hmm? Seems
> like a lot of work :)  But if I keep updating the slides from the
>talk, maybe it will happen organically, as it were.

Hi David,

Honestly, I'd think a book might have relatively limited audience simply
because not that many people are building robots of the kind we talk about
regularly here, but that doesn't negate its value. Maybe more people would
take up the mantle and try. As you've said, it's hard. What you've done is
provide a good basis for people (like me, forinstance) to get a leg up
on a very difficult venture.

> It actually never occurred to me that folks might want use the
> slide deck independent of the talk, until Paul Bouchier asked for
> a copy. Short sighted on my part.  For example, none of the code
> snippets have comments, or very sparse comments, as I assumed I
> would be doing that part live.

Well, the slide show is fine for those of us who already know the
context but of less value to those who don't, but still interesting.
At 106 slides it's perhaps a bit impenetrable for somebody just
starting out, without enough context, dunno.

> Let me ponder this.
Ponder away! The offer certainly stands, would be both happy and honored
to help out.

Cheers,