[Dprglist] Tractor Time

ed at okerson.com ed at okerson.com
Fri Oct 16 17:47:27 PDT 2020

I have recently been tractor shopping as well. Wow, new ones are
expensive. For only 4 acres I would have serious doubts you will get
your money's worth out of even a small one if you buy new. The used
marked is hit and miss. You really don't know what that machine as been
through. A friend bought a really nice older used Kubota and got about a
year's use out of it until a previous band-aid fix on a cracked block
failed. He had no idea the block was cracked. It has been sitting dead
at my place for several years while I search for a new engine. He bought
another used tractor, and it was also a basket case. He finally gave up
and bought a new LS tractor last week.

I bought a much older Case tractor, and eventually put a new Honda
engine in it. I also put a larger hydraulic pump, and it is now a beast.
Front end loader, tiller, box blade, home made backhoe, post pounder,
etc. It all depends on how comfortable you are working on engines and
hydraulics, or how deep your pockets are.

For a small acreage like yours, I would look at much smaller solutions.
Maybe something like this:

https://www.wildharemfg.com

These implements on an ATV would be much easier to maneuver, require
less storage space, and much easier on the wallet.

Feel free to contact me, I love to talk about tractors.

Ed Okerson