[Dprglist] Tractor Time

Karim Virani pondersome64 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 13:54:23 PDT 2020

Seriously off-topic - apologies and fair warning. Feel free to tell me to
back off if you find this kind of post annoying. But I know there are some
folks on this list with some non-suburban properties to maintain and I'm
interested in guidance.

The number one question is where should I be asking these questions?
There are probably a number of decent interest groups and I'd be happy for
recommendations.

I'm looking at moving to a home on a heavily treed (and overgrown) 4 acre
lot. It's also quite sloped down to a creek at the back of the property.
There is a 700ft pavement driveway to maintain mostly by cutting back
saplings and trees.

We'll be putting in a detached workshop on a fairly rocky part of the
property. The grading/excavation work to be done by pros - that is not what
this little toy is for.

Uses include

   - Pulling/stacking logs/branches while clearing the undergrowth
   gradually over a few years.
   - Small areas grading to create walkable paths.
   - Moving mulch around.
   - Lifting loads in/around the workshop (poor man's forklift)
   - Maybe some trench digging or minor excavating - though I've been
   warned back hoes are about the most under used attachments.
   - Brush hogging is not a requirement - there are no fields/glades to
   maintain. Not sure about a power rake.

Use would be sporadic. If I have a limit of a single utility vehicle
investment, I'm thinking jack of all trades, master of none.

So right now I'm thinking about a compact utility tractor with a front end
loader. Maybe something like a used Ford 1520. Just to make it more
interesting - how about an EV conversion? Again, sporadic use. Wouldn't
imagine using it for more than a couple of hours in a day every other week.

OTOH, I could give up the lifting capability and drag smaller branches
around with a UTV which would do better at the more regular job of moving
people (incl robotics students) around the property.

So what's the most useful piece of equipment for maintaining that kind of
property?

Thoughts?