[Dprglist] [Dprg_roborama_committee] Circuit Breakers

Murray Altheim murray18 at altheim.com
Fri Nov 20 10:41:51 PST 2020

Hi John,

It's with some irony that my robot is currently dead because I was in
the process of rewiring it to add two INA260 current sensors to the
motors so that I could sense a deadlocked motor, and I've somehow got
the 5v line showing up on my 3.3v line, so the I2C bus won't work. The
Pi initially wouldn't boot, but now it does but the I2C bus shows up
empty using i2cdetect.

So a simple fuse or a circuit breaker would have been easier to wire
up, but wouldn't have given me the information to more intelligently
react to an over-current situation. And I also agree with your point
about reaction time. You'll likely have blown all your delicate
circuits by the time the fuse or circuit breaker blows. [On the video
conference we were talking about the fuse/circuit breaker solution
more as a safety mechanism for short circuits, but the point is still
valid.]

Sensors are the thing. You don't want to have to use your fingers to
find out if a wire is hot, which is apparently how Carl does it. :-)

Cheers,

Murray