[Dprglist] [Dprg_roborama_committee] Circuit Breakers

John Swindle swindle at compuserve.com
Fri Nov 20 09:43:47 PST 2020

Ron and Carl make important points: Fuses and circuit breakers limit the overload, but the fault has occurred, and the fault likely caused some damage somewhere, maybe in a place that you can't see. As Ron said, with more experience and more care, there are fewer faults. Someone taught me long ago that if I felt that I needed a circuit breaker instead of a fuse, then maybe I was not being careful enough. And three more observations: 1) Some circuits, such as a LED light bulb that failed when it fell into an aquarium: When I tore into it, I found a sacrificial component that blew out much faster than either a fuse or a circuit breaker. Cheaper and faster than fuses. 2) Fuses always blow, at some point even when never passing more than rated current, since they work by heating and deforming the link. Circuit breakers that accumulate also trip even when there is not a fault. 3) As Carl said, active protection is always better, though more expensive. Voltage regulators, zeners, crowbar circuits, sacrificial semiconductor junctions, are all faster and safer than fuses and circuit breakers.

John Swindle