[Dprglist] [Dprg_roborama_committee] Circuit Breakers

Carl Ott carl.ott.jr at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 08:20:26 PST 2020

Keep in mind that

   - some Lion and LiPo packs have protection circuits built-in.  Such
   circuits often protect against over-charge, over-temp and short-circuit
   events. I personally strongly prefer such packs, as they provide a layer of
   protection as close to the risk (energy source) as possible
   - Especially if you use batteries w/o such protection circuits,
   fast-blow fuses and circuit breakers can help prevent catastrophic battery
   events, in addition to load issues
   - But even if you DO use batteries with built-in protection circuits,
   fuses and breakers should help avoid damage to loads / circuitry /
   your-fingers /
   things-which-could-be-damaged-by-super-heated-wires-and-chips-acting-like-heating-elements-before-they-fuse

It's all about managing the unique benefit of Lithium chemistries compared
to earlier chemistries - Lithium based batteries have relatively higher
energy storage density per weight and volume -and can typically deliver
considerably higher peak and sustained amperage...  So be careful about
what you 'ask the battery to dump power into' - whether you 'ask on
purpose' or 'by accident'...

Food for thought...

Carl