[Dprglist] Raspberry Pi Master to Arduino Slave (pimaster2ardslave)

Murray Altheim murray18 at altheim.com
Wed May 6 21:30:51 PDT 2020

Hello all,

As discussed in the last Robot Builders Night Virtual, I've been working on
a project to communicate between a Raspberry Pi as master (in Python) and an
Arduino slave. This uses a two byte call and response pattern over I2C so
its performance seems pretty good (and it's relatively simple).

This is my first attempt at a private github project so please bear with it
being a bit rough around the edges:

     https://github.com/ifurusato/pimaster2ardslave

Comments, suggestions, etc. welcome. The project is functional in that I've
got communications between the Pi and Arduino working, just finishing up the
"API" between them and writing a few tests. I'll update the 'Status' section
of the README once it's ready to go. So this is currently a "technology preview".

----

I thought to post this now since while I know David isn't using Raspberry Pis,
the means to communicate master-slave using simple 2-byte messages might be
transferable to what he's doing. I've used a Teensy in my modular synthesizer:

   https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/983608

but don't have one handy unless I disassemble the module, but I have been able
to test pimaster2ardslave on both an Arduino Micro and an Adafruit Metro Mini.

I'm myself moving *slightly* in David's direction by purchasing an Arduino Yún,
which is a combination of an ATmega32U4 microprocessor with an Atheros AR9331,
the latter running a version of Linux called Linino OS. It has Ethernet and WiFi
built in. So it'll be either the best or the worst of both worlds. I'm curious.

Cheers,

Murray