[Dprglist] Raspberry Pi Master to Arduino Slave (pimaster2ardslave)

Murray Altheim murray18 at altheim.com
Sat May 9 02:13:14 PDT 2020

Bit busy, been raining here.

Just a note to say that with my most recent code revision the project at

     Raspberry Pi Master to Arduino Slave (pimaster2ardslave)
     https://github.com/ifurusato/pimaster2ardslave

is functional and now has three working tests:

   * test_echo.py:  this tests that the Raspberry Pi and Arduino can
     talk to each other, and doesn't require any sensors or additional
     hardware other than the I²C between the two boards.
   * test_blink.py:  this test blinks an LED connected to pin 5 of the
     Arduino. This requires a Raspberry Pi connected to an Arduino
     over I²C on address 0x08.
   * test_config.py:  this tests a hardware configuration of one button,
     one LED, two digital and one analog infrared sensors, first
     configuring the Arduino and then performing a communications loop.

I've also posted a "technology preview" (not yet complete) of the Robot
Operating System (ROS) in Python 3 to:

     A Python-based Robot Operating System (ROS)
     https://github.com/ifurusato/ros

and a new blog entry on Mecanum wheels to:

     We’re Goin’ Mecanum!
     https://robots.org.nz/2020/05/09/goin-mecanum/

If anyone is an expert on Mecanum wheels, the post includes a schematic
diagram ("Plan 1") for a new robot and I'd dearly like a review, i.e.,
does it makes sense in terms of placement of the wheels? I.e., should the
wheel centers be on the circumference of a circle or does that really
matter? Any comments or suggestions very welcome.

Cheers,

Murray