[Dprglist] Tanner Electronics Closing

David Anderson davida at smu.edu
Sat Mar 14 09:42:03 PDT 2020

I guess my question "So, what do we do now?" was aimed more at future
robot building.

Radio Shack is now gone.  Micro Center has a pretty big hobby robot
section and some parts, though not the go-to place if you need a
particular resistor or capacitor or whatever.  Altex has lots of parts
though not cheap.   Fry's always had lots of components at reasonable
prices, but they seem to be hollowing out, maybe in preparation for
bankruptcy?

With Mike's Hobby and Aero Hobby also gone, looks like motors and
batteries and ESCs and such will have to be ordered new and online.
For a data point, the Pittman motors on my jBot robot cost $16 a piece
at Tanners (I bought 4 of them, 2 for spares). They retail for over $200
a piece new.

So...

Any suggestions?

dpa