[Dprglist] Tesla

Rud Merriam rudmerriam at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 20:39:43 PST 2017

The legal landscape will be defined by the laws and regulations,
overall. In the meantime we will see litigation defining the parameters.
That's where it will be a challenge. But we'll also see expert witness
making the points I just made and IMO prevailing. Tesla and other auto
makers will have their legal teams crafting all the protections against
litigation into the contracts.

I saw a mention of one auto company requiring hands on the wheel with
some response needed to a wheel wiggle or something. If the car didn't
get a response it shut down, presumably safely. I started blasting a
loud noise inside the car, honk the horn, and flash every light on the
vehicle with an announcement "Possible medical emergency. Unresponsive
driver. Calling 911 for assistance."

I was revising my rovers early this summer and digging into ROS. Then I
heard about the NASA Space Robotics Challenge that started in the fall.
Been working on qualifying for it and that wrapped up last Saturday.
Supposedly they will judge the simulation files submitted by the 31st.
Twenty teams get $15,000 and can compete in the main competition. I've
seen results from some other teams and kind of feel I'll either squeak
in or just miss getting in.

The challenge is a simulation of the Johnson Space Center's R5 /
Valkyrie robot that is 6' 3" and weighs 300 lbs. The main competition is
fixing damage from a 'storm' on Mars like "The Martian" movie. Prizes
are in the $100,000 range but also at _least_ two weeks with the actual
robot.

-73 -
*Rud Merriam K5RUD*
/Mystic Lake Software/ <http://mysticlakesoftware.com/>