[Dprglist] New non-wheeled class for Roborama Quicktrip contest

Paul Bouchier paul.bouchier at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 02:44:08 PDT 2024

DPRG folk - we have added a non-wheeled class of entry to the Quicktrip
contest for Roborama in June. Prizes will be awarded to wheeled and to
non-wheeled entries. Our webmaster Doug P has added the new class to the
Roborama announcement here:
https://www.dprg.org/roborama-2024/
The rules are the same for both wheeled and non-wheeled robots, but legged
robots in particular are likely to be slower, so we defined a separate
class for them to compete in.

The discord server has taken off like a house on fire, and one of the
conversations ended up with several people interested in various forms of
legged robots, and it seemed Quicktrip (aka Out'n'back) would be a
simple-enough yet hard-enough challenge for these less-common robot forms.
If multiple robots achieve the same number of points (enter destination,
stop in destination etc) then the winner is the one that does it faster.
Hence separating a slower-class of robot from faster (wheeled) ones.
Someone even suggested at RBNV that a hovercraft could compete as a
non-wheeled robot, and we agreed. However we thought the judges would not
allow UAVs to compete as non-wheeled robots. :-0

Feel free to reply with any comments or questions, or join the Discord
server and discuss in the #roborama-24-spring channel. Here's a new
Discord  invite, since the one I sent out last week is about to expire:
https://discord.gg/zKEH2Z8z

Happy robot building

Paul Bouchier
DPRG Prez