[Dprglist] Fwd: Pioneer 3 AT Robotics Platform

Karim Virani pondersome64 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 07:52:26 PST 2022

The version of this that has the manual as an attachment is held up in
moderation, so:

Due to the height of competition season for my high school teams, I haven't
really had time for more than a cursory look at the PATs. Hopefully I can
report out a bit more this evening after we've had a couple of
co-conspirators over to take a look. Preliminary review shows:

   - The lids are off of some of the robots, but they each have one.
   - I did NOT notice any obvious signs of water damage. No sign of extreme
   exposure to the elements. All chassis have signs of collision, but the
   structure seems solid and aligned on all of them.
   - There are two 8 element sonar arrays on each robot
   - As expected, none of the arrays are undamaged. A couple of them have
   mangled housings, some are missing a sensor or two, many of the sensors
   look damaged. I would guess at least 8 sensors are recoverable/usable per
   robot and that if somebody in the group-buy ends up with less than that,
   others more fortunate should be willing to contribute one or two. Hopefully
   David can tell us if they are replaceable with modern versions of the
   sensors.
   - Each array has its own local driver board. Didn't notice obvious
   damage to those that I've seen, and I've mostly seen the ones from the most
   damaged arrays.
   - Each differential pair of wheels is belted together for common
   rotation - they can't rotate independently.
   - The belts are high quality and appear to be in good shape - though I
   haven't opened up all the robots.
   - Each differential pair of wheels is driven by two motors engaged with
   the same belt. One motor of each pair has a shaft encoder on it.
   - The motors are pretty beefy by club standards.
   - The robot can be pushed around pretty freely - none of the
   transmissions appear to be locked up.
   - I have not yet tried to power the robots or even the motors
   independently.
   - These are 12 volt systems with 3 bays for 9ah SLA batteries.
   - The batteries are supposed to be hot-swappable assuming we can find or
   adapt compatible terminals on new batteries.
   - The built-in chargers, assuming they still work, would only be
   compatible with lead-acid chemistry.
   - We should expect a significant number of variances from the only
   manual I could find (see below) since it documents a later version of the
   platform.
   - None of the robots have the bumper options installed
   - Again, here is the hackaday restoration page for a lower end model
   <https://hackaday.io/project/175890-fixing-up-an-old-pioneer-3-dx>
   - Here is a link to a later version of the P3AT manual
   <https://data2.manualslib.com/pdf7/144/14374/1437347-omron_adept_mobilerobots/pioneer_3.pdf?133d45e569bf1c7561cbc006f686721d>