[Dprglist] Lego, Raspberry and Python Project - Reaction Wheel Inverted Pendulum

David P. Anderson davida at smu.edu
Sun Aug 21 17:03:05 PDT 2022

Cool experiment.

Accelerometers don't help that much because when you are falling, they
are in free fall -- as it were -- and therefore don't have any useful
information to impart.  However, gyros tell when the body is rotating.
That and the speed of rotation are all that's needed.

If the inverted pendulum has a moveable bottom end, like a wheel for
example, rather than fixed in place like the example, then the gyro and
wheel feedback together totally constrain the movement of the plant.
Same with the classic printer carriage inverted pendulum, like for
example this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdbODkTNvp4

The lego experiment does seem to have to deal with lots of edge cases,
which always raises some red flags for me.  Simpler is usually more
robust, as a general rule.

And speaking of PID, found this great article, very complete, with some
nifty history:

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/PID_controller
<https://www.wikiwand.com/en/PID_controller>

thanks Karim!