[Dprglist] First BBR implementation and some questions

David P. Anderson davida at smu.edu
Sun Oct 31 19:59:48 PDT 2021

Well, Karim, now that you mention it...

On 10/31/21 5:26 PM, Karim Virani via DPRGlist wrote:
> I agree with Doug, you should never have blocking code unless you can
> dedicate a separate thread to it apart from your main loop's thread.
>
> And not to start up the whole debate again, I personally vote that
> there is no use for ballistic behaviors. I treat them as an academic
> construct. There are plenty of uses of objective-oriented and
> terminating behaviors - including those where the objective is to last
> for a certain amount of time. But they should still be interruptible
> and cancellable by higher priority behaviors.

I believe this is a misunderstanding of what ballistic behaviors are in
the context of subsumption.   For some reason the idea has taken root
that what makes a behavior ballistic is that it for some reason cannot
be interrupted.    That is a red herring. What make a behavior a
ballistic behavior */_in the context of subsumption_/* is that it
continues to execute after the signal that triggered it has ceased.

That's all.

I don't understand why such a simple concept has turned out to be so
hard to communicate.  I consider this a major failing on my part.

cheers!

David