[Dprglist] On Behavior Trees [Was: self driving trucks and the desert]

Murray Altheim murray18 at altheim.com
Thu Oct 28 12:52:54 PDT 2021

On 29/10/21 7:36 am, Rud Merriam via DPRGlist wrote:
> I replied to David and included this link: [...]

Hi Rud,

I'm doing my own robot OS in python so I'll check out the Python code,
and I've got the link to the Italian/Swedish paper, thanks for that.

My own exploration is inspired by my readings of Brooks, Jones, and what
I've learned from David (who has been a great help), and is a based around
an asynchronous (asyncio) message bus supporting a publish-subscribe model.

There is the ability to enable/disable and suppress/release any of the
Publishers or Subscribers, plus a class of Behaviour that combines both
a Publisher and Subscriber, so the basic foundations of subsumption are
there but not at the level of a single or BT loop, as all of the event-
carrying messages sent around within the system are asynchronous. I
maintain that it's still following the basic idea of a subsumption
architecture but implemented quite differently than others I've seen.

I'm still working through the details of it but so far things are working.
A lot of effort...

I'm curious about the Behaviour Tree idea because it suggests different
patterns or sequences of behaviours for different contexts, which is
something I've been investigating.

Cheers,