[Dprglist] self driving trucks and the desert

David P. Anderson davida at smu.edu
Thu Oct 28 06:35:48 PDT 2021

Howdy DPRG

On 10/27/21 10:23 PM, Rud Merriam via DPRGlist wrote:

[snip]

> If you're not familiar with subsumption is is a list of behaviors or
> actions. Every cycle the list begins again until one of the behaviors
> "fires". The processing starts again at the beginning of the list.
> That's simplified but gives the idea. I actually found that setting a
> flag and letting the list finish processing also worked. Once the flag
> was any following behavior would not "fire" but it could record
> information. That was useful for handling behaviors that did a timing
> function.
>
> [snip]
>
> Subsumption is basically an OR operation, just like a logic gate. If
> one behavior fires the overall  gate becomes true and returns to a
> higher level in the tree. There is also an AND operation where all the
> behaviors must fire before returning true. If one fails to fire a
> false is returned. The other main operation is NOT which is an
> inverter of the output of a list.

If you're not familiar with subsumption,  the above is not an accurate
description.  At all.   ;)

For those who might be interested, the Joseph Jones books "Mobile
Robots" and "Behavior Based Robotics" provide sort of the canonical
definitions for subsumption and how it works.  If you don't want to read
that much then I think I did a pretty good job of describing it in the
DPRG talk from last June, for which there is a YouTube video on the club
web page, (miss-labeled "May 12" rather than "June 12").

cheers!

David