[Dprglist] self driving trucks and the desert

Karim Virani pondersome64 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 11:14:22 PDT 2021

Try not to take this as putting words in Paul's mouth. My guess is Paul was
not trying to come up with a rigorously defensible analogy, but
accentuating a difference of constraints in the moment of that conversation.

In reality, we all place constraints on getting from here to there. A path
following constraint is just one example, but it's almost never the only
one. It's also not required. If you have constraints against bumping into
things instead of trying to plough through them, then you probably have
some sensors involved. If you have a path following constraint there there
are also sensors involved in determining how far off the path you have
travelled. It could be GPS outside, it could be odometry - could be a dozen
other kinds of sensors. The path could be described in different kinds of
coordinate systems. Paths may be defined with a different stickiness - how
tightly you have to cleave to them. There may be a different stickiness per
waypoint. A path can be described without waypoints - could be formulaic.

Adding path constraints may help with certain kinds of navigation problems,
could be unhelpful, or could be required. It'll almost never be sufficient.
Path planning can get you around known obstacles (a building), less likely
to encounter obstacles (lane keeping), but won't be helpful in avoiding
collisions with dynamic obstacles (vehicles, people, donkeys). And for
highly planned paths, you have the burden of maintaining that definition's
correspondence with changing reality.

Animals (including people) follow paths all the time. There are all sorts
of reasons to do so. There are also reasons to depart from a path. It'll be
a long time before robots can judge dynamically which is the best approach
in a given situation. Until then, they follow the rules we lay out. But
your robots are following a path even if they only do it emergently. I'd
like to see them emergently avoid driving through a freshly planted flower
bed.

Path planning is just something in our toolbox. Why not learn how to use
it? Figure out where it works best and where it doesn't? The more I
discover about it, it's not a single kind of tool, it's a spectrum.

-not Paul