[Dprglist] NUCLEO STM32 L476RG - using micropython - .dfu files

Thalanayar Muthukumar tnkumar at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 09:26:10 PDT 2021

Thanks Jim for your response. I checked out www.merkles.com and there are a
lot of varied projects you are working on. Wowowow.

On Sat, Oct 23, 2021 at 8:57 AM Jim Merkle <jim at merkles.com> wrote:

> Your NUCLEO board has an on-board JTAG development interface.  All your
> development action is through this JTAG part, usually a STM32-F013 chip.
> This interface also provides a "FTDI" USB Host interface with your board
> that usually connects to UART 2 (See NUCLEAO schematic.)  That guy wasn't
> using a NUCLEO, or was just clueless.

Kumar -> I hope he was clueless. Cutting a USB cable to get started seems
too much of a painful exercise to me.

> I have some STM32 projects on my website: www.merkles.com.  I prefer to
> use the STM32-CUBE, since it configures all the peripherals for you into
> source code.  After that, there are multiple environments to use. I believe
> the majority of people use STM tools.  I continually run into roadblocks
> when trying to use MBED.  They are great for "Hello World", but after that,
> you'll likely get stuck.

Kumar -> Thanks for the feedback. I may not spend much time on MBED as
STM32CubeIDE is working for me now.

> My favorite "Go To" NUCLEO is the NUCLEO-F446RE.  The processor is packed
> with peripheral support, and it's relatively cheap.  The folks that don't
> have any money usually head toward the "Blue Pill", a small STM32-F103RB
> development board.  But, after you get JTAG adapter, and FTDI serial added,
> the price becomes close to the NUCLEO-F103 board.

Kumar -> I thought so too, from a price perspective and hence went for the
NUCLEO board as the adaptor is part of the package

> I HATE the Blue Pill since it doesn't provide a reset signal from the
> target processor to the JTAG interface.  This means you have to play games
> with the reset switch to get software to load to the target each time.
> BTW, MicroPython runs great on the F446RE.

Kumar -> I intend to pursue to get micropython work with my NUCLEO STM32
L476RG. Hopefully, I am able to figure out the issues. I will visit your
web site for guidance.