[Dprglist] Underwater robots for kids

Ezra Christensen ezracc at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 14:51:06 PST 2021

Thanks, Karim.

SeaPerch's FAQ says it is not restricted to schools. Clubs, homeschoolers,
and any K-12 group can participate. SeaPerch led me to RoboNation's other
water based programs. There are 7 of them that span up to the university
level. They also have aerial programs (UAV, drones). They do have some
interesting things going on.

In my opinion though, MATE ROV has more complex and interesting challenges.

E.g., SeaPerch's challenge is to navigate an obstacle course (hula hoops
under water). Even RoboSub's (mostly university teams) challenge recently
was to get operational and shoot torpedoes at a target.
MATE ROV's challenges revolve around real-world problems. This year's are
off-shore power generation, aquaculture, and environmental monitoring.
Points are awarded for things like inspection/monitoring, repair, mapping,
item retrieval and delivery. Autonomous functionality of tasks are awarded
significantly more points than manual completion.

Students who completed MATE ROV would likely be more skilled than those who
did RoboNation's challenges. Initial costs for both programs are
comparable. Replacement parts for SeaPerch are cheaper, which may have
influenced Dallas ISD's selection.

Ezra

--
Ezra Christensen