[Dprglist] beam robotics: telepresence and autonomy

David davida at smu.edu
Mon Mar 22 03:37:50 PST 2021

Hi Murray,

Willow Garage was formed out of the Standford robotics laboratory
group.  Willow Garage's main claim to fame was the robot software
platform, ROS, which they developed and made available as Open Source.

The main platform they developed was an industrial robot, the PR1.  It
was also intended to be a sort of industry standard, like ROS itself,
and was quickly followed by the PR2.  This was the platform that would
revolutionize robot deployment, making any warehouse, for example, a
robotic warehouse.  They had funding and support from folks like
Google.  And lots of cool demos.

And that is the platform that the CEO was referring to in the interview
I mentioned.  He observed that seemingly simple things, like having the
PR2 drive up to a table, recognize an object on the table, and pick it
up, were surprisingly difficult to do. Enough so that they eventually
gave up and switched their paradigm to tele-presence robots.  That was
hopefully a market more ripe for their company's profit margins.  Then
they eventually gave up completely and closed in 2014, leaving behind
ROS as their chief contribution.  For better or for worse.

At least that's how I remember it...

cheers!

dpa