[Dprglist] beam robotics: telepresence and autonomy

Murray Altheim murray18 at altheim.com
Sun Mar 21 19:27:28 PST 2021

On 22/03/21 4:25 am, David via DPRGlist wrote:
> [...]  I read a few years ago an interview with the CEO of the Willow
> Garage people who implied that they also eventually gave up on
> autonomous robots (it's too hard!) and had pivoted to telepresence. >
> http://www.willowgarage.com/
Hi David,

I wasn't familiar with the WillowGarage robots so I looked them up.
Looks like the business existed from 2006 until 2014, when they were
purchased by ClearPath.

Ignoring the big expensive PR2 humanoid, WillowGarage sold a Burger
at $495 and the Waffle TurtleBot3 at $1399, the former a Raspberry Pi-
based stack, the latter an Intel Joule-based robot with a LiDAR, an
Intel RealSense camera, and two servos as drive motors and a ball
caster. No other sensors at all.

The Intel Joule is now discontinued, as I couldn't find any for sale
except in India, but was a 4-core 1.4GHz SBC with what looks like
the power of a Raspberry Pi 3 B+.

The TurtleBot 2 sold for $1900 and had either an Orbbec Astra or a
(refurbished!) Microsoft Kinect camera, and two microphones. It used
either a Lenovo 11e or a Lenovo x260 laptop as its computer, both
small-screen student-grade laptops.

So none of these robots out of the box came with any bumpers, infrared,
no encoders on the wheels (though perhaps one can get odometric info
from the servos themselves).

So I'm struck first by the cost. Adding up the pieces none of them were
particularly competitive with other hobbyist offerings. They're all
ROS-based and their sensors are entirely vision and microphones, so they
were entirely limited in capability by their sensors to being
telepresence robots. Out of the box, anyway.

What I got from this is that there's interest and a market for ROS-based
telepresence robots (for attending meetings remotely during a pandemic)
but apparently not so much for autonomous robots with even a minimal set
of sensors (like a bumper). And that for a complete package you'd need to
spend a lot more than what you'd pay for a similar-powered DIY or kit.
The current TurtleBot from ClearPath is pretty much the same, now