[Dprglist] BNO085 and vibration

Carl Ott carl.ott.jr at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 06:44:03 PDT 2021

As an crude but potentially revealing test to isolate potential effects of
mechanical vibration vs. effects of EMC -

If the error is growing so large in a short span like 30 seconds,

why not find a way to spin the lidar by hand at approximately the right
rate?
can you spin it with your finger?
That's how I found the issue on HoverSim - simply setting the robot on a
lazy susan, applying power to the Mega 2560 but not the H-bridge (hence
greatly reducing any chance of EMC issues), and then gently and 'smoothly'
(except for any bearing noise) moving the lazy susan..

You wouldn't catch things like tiny micro-impulses deltas that I imagine
exist for a motor, but you should be able to simulate bearing or imbalance
issues.  Even if your manual test vector is uneven compared to a motor
drive, and you see higher variance in drift, that of itself could be
revealing...

Or - maybe you could mount things in a fixture, attach another / much
longer drive 'belt' to a motor far away from the robot chassis, which is