[Dprglist] Creating a line following course with tape on woodfloor - safe for the floor?

Chris N netterchris at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 19:39:23 PST 2021

Wow!  Lots of excellent suggestions! I think I owe it to you guys to summarize them, in no particular order:
• Use garage instead
• Use basement instead
• Use foam tiles and then create lines on top
• Use post-it notes because they have a special adhesive
• Print the course on a banner
• Use Gaffers tape
• Use waypoints if reliable odometry is available
• Use low-tack painters tape

I realize I’m going to have to prioritize between the following 3 objectives, and I have decided to prioritize in the order listed
1) Don’t’ damage floors
2) Convenience
3) Meet all my requirements (e.g. ability to leave the lines on the floor for a few weeks)

I’m willing to give on #3 a little.  I think I’m OK with leaving the lines for only 2-3 days instead of 2-3 weeks.   Maybe its not a big deal to re-create the lines 2 weeks later and maybe its OK that the 2nd set of lines won’t be an exact match with the initial set.

So plan A right now is to find the right low-tack tape,  test in an inconspicuous area if its safe to leave it on for 4-5 days and if so,  leave the actual lines on for no more than 2-3 days (i.e. leave some margin…).    What I like about the tape solution is that it can be used in many different rooms of the house if I want to and it doesn’t’ get in the way of other people using the space.

The problem I’m running into with the tape that I have obtained so far is that my wood floor is about 50% reflective, so I’m already loosing some contrast between line (beige) and no-line.  But its manageable, i.e. the sensors do clearly distinguish between line and no line.     What’s worse is that the pattern of the floor changes and this results in a range of reflectivity from the floor and thus the line sensors are not picking up a crisp edge.

So my robot behaves as if the line is wavy – when it actually is 100% straight.   I.e. I’m getting small oscillations which I don’t think are coming from my control logic.  My logic contains only  modest amount of proportionally gain – no I and no D.

I guess plan B would be to create the lines on top of some TBD substrate

Chris