[Dprglist] Distributed processing: octopus

Murray Altheim murray18 at altheim.com
Mon Jan 4 14:02:38 PST 2021

On 5/01/21 10:52 am, David Anderson via DPRGlist wrote:
> Murray,
>
> Exactly.
>
> But in this case it's not just an intelligent sensor talking
> to a main controller that then commands the actuators.  Rather,
> the sensor is intelligent enough to command the actuators directly,
> without involving the main controller. [...]

Hi David,

So the takeaway from this might be something like a sensor that:

    1. is itself somewhat autonomous -- can operate on its own
    2. pre-processes sensory input, producing a result that doesn't
       just send raw data back to the brain, but interprets that data to:
    3. produce a local behaviour, and:
    4. return a suggestion to the brain to act according to what has
       been sensed, basically some kind of higher-level interpretation

So we get a high-speed local behaviour as well as a potentially slower,
higher-level behaviour. Hmm.

Cheers,