[Dprglist] Distributed processing: octopus

David Anderson davida at smu.edu
Mon Jan 4 13:52:23 PST 2021

Murray,

Exactly.

But in this case it's not just an intelligent sensor talking to a main
controller that then commands the actuators.  Rather, the sensor is
intelligent enough to command the actuators directly, without involving
the main controller.

The can gripper on the SR04 robot sort of does this.  The robot never
directly commands the gripper to close, only to open.  But the gripper
itself tries to close anytime it's feelers touch something.  Sort of
like setting off a trap.   If it's successful it signals to the robot
that it has grabbed something, after the fact.

This was modeled on what psychologists call the grasping reflex,
particularly evident in infants that tend to grab whatever they touch.
It is up to the brain to steer the hand toward interesting targets to
grab, but the hand closes on its own.   I didn't know about the
octopuses at the time but it seems analogous.

It strikes me that the octopus is like the hand in that way, but times a
zillion because it has much more local smarts and it's "sensors and
actuators" are so amazingly versatile.

cheers
dpa