[Dprglist] FYI: Using Arduino IDE Serial Plotter for analyzing PID loop

David Ackley dackley at verizon.net
Sat Oct 3 10:32:37 PDT 2020

Hi Murray

As I recall, you are using an Arduino to control your motors and run your
PID loop.

So I thought I'd mention that the Arduino IDE has a "Serial Plotter"
capability that I'm using to tune my PID loop.

I've attached three plots I made where I had set my loop gain to 5, 7.5, and
10 on my 20Hz PID loop.

As I mentioned at this week's RBNOV and as can be seen in the plots, the
error (difference) between the motor set value and the actual motor speed is
roughly proportional to the inverse of the loop gain. Also as you increase
the loop gain you will reach the point where the motor starts to oscillate.

Dave