[Dprglist] Circuit Breakers

Murray Altheim murray18 at altheim.com
Thu Nov 19 20:45:11 PST 2020

Hi,

In our last videoconference on Wednesday we discussed the importance of
having a system-level fuse, so that if we short out a motor or a battery
things don't quickly go south. With most batteries that can start a fire,
with lithium-polymer batteries that can result in an explosion.

Rather than using a fuse (which would be fine) I was pretty sure I'd seen
some small circuit breakers. Sure enough, there's an automotive style,
mini blade circuit breaker that fits into a standard socket ("conforms to
SAE J553 standard"), pretty cheap too. They seem to come in various amp
and voltage ratings, and come in push-to-reset and automatic-reset versions.

At Digikey there's a series from OptiFuse, e.g.:

   28V 5A
   https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/optifuse/MRCBP4-PM-5A/11581894

   28V 7.5A
   https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/optifuse/MRCBP4-PM-7-5A/11581669

   28V 10A
   https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/optifuse/MRCBP4-PM-10A/11577680

with the link from OptiFuse themselves at:

   https://www.optifuse.com/circuit-breakers-Type2-mocbp4-pm.php

Hope that's of some help,