[Dprglist] Compass heading using gyroscopes?

David Anderson davida at smu.edu
Sat May 16 14:36:27 PDT 2020

Howdy DPRG,

Maybe it's not clear that the video of RCAT I showed at the monthly
meeting is actually a superset of the four corners contest methodology
to which Doug refers.   Sometimes things are not as obvious as I think
they are.   To wit:

The four corners contest is actually the University of Michigan Bench
Mark (UMBmark) odometry calibration method developed by J. Borenstien.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~johannb/Papers/umbmark.pdf

The concept is to drive around a large square, clockwise and
counter-clockwise, while tracking the robot's position with odometry,
and stop at the starting point and measure the difference between the
stopping point and the starting point. This shows how much the odometry
is in error and in which direction, and allows calibration of the
odometry constants and also the potential difference in size between the
two wheels of a differentially driven robot.   The DPRG uses this
calibration method as a contest.

Here is a paper I wrote about how I used the UMBMark to calibrate the
RCAT robot as an example:

http://www.geology.smu.edu/dpa-www/robo/rcat/calibrate.html

The video of RCAT I showed earlier this month does the same thing
except: 1) the route taken is MUCH longer than a 10 foot square (hence
the errors should be larger),  2) the route taken involves many, many
turns, not just four nice ninety degree turns as in the contest, so
again the errors should be much  larger,  3)  the route taken is not
symmetrical, is different for each run, and is not known in advance,  4)
the robot itself measures the error between the starting and ending
point using it's sonars, as Borenstien suggests in his paper, and 5) the
robot corrects its position and pose for the next run each  time after
measuring those errors.

As I have opined before, robot contests are easy compared to the real world!

So the robot is turned loose to do whatever tasks it has been assigned,
in the case of the video it was to do perimeter following, and at the
end of three minutes or whatever the timeout is set for, it stops what
it is doing wherever it is and enables navigation to seek its way back
to the starting point, or to wherever it thinks the starting point now is.

With those behaviors the RCAT robot can, after a three minute run as
seen on the video, return to within a few inches of the starting point
repeatedly.  This means that the locations that the robot is tracking
during it's run are accurate to within a few inches or less FOR THE
ENTIRE RUN.

In all humility this is virtuosic perfomance from that little robot,
which may not be apparent if one does not understand what it is doing
and what the implications are.

cheers,

dpa