[Dprglist] Compass heading using gyroscopes?

Doug Paradis paradug at gmail.com
Fri May 15 12:18:54 PDT 2020

Murray,
    John's points are very valid. You can get a feel for the accuracy
needed on an indoor robot by marking a point on your robot and the floor of
your test space. Travel a square that is 375 cm (~12 ft) on side, with a
total travel distance of 1500 cm (48 ft), and mark where your robot ends on
the floor using the mark on the robot, and measure the distance it is off.
This is a short description of a DPRG Four Corner contest (see:
https://www.dprg.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/four_corners-201804303.pdf).
Typical performance a winning robot is sub - 12 mm, the 2nd and 3rd place
robots sub - 75.mm. Often in the past only encoders were used for
navigation (i.e., no gyro).Now usually a gyro is used for heading. Several
years ago John S. used a unique sonic trilateration system to achieve a
17.5 mm error, at the time a club record. Similar competitions by other
clubs have about the same outcomes.

Regards,
Doug P.