[Dprglist] Compass heading using gyroscopes?

Doug Paradis paradug at gmail.com
Thu May 14 06:00:44 PDT 2020

Murray,
    Make sure you have the BNO055 in the right operation mode. I like the
"imu" mode for indoor robots which outputs the results of an internal
Kalman filter using the gyroscope and .accelerometer. It sounds like you
want to run in "ndof" mode.  As I have stated before, accurate magnetometer
readings indoors on a mobile robot that will be operating in
different locations is going to problematic due to non-constant hard iron
distortions. You might find this link informative,
https://www.vectornav.com/support/library/magnetometer.

Regards,
Doug P.