[Dprglist] Compass heading using gyroscopes?

Murray Altheim murray18 at altheim.com
Thu May 14 03:55:25 PDT 2020

Hi,

I think we've discussed this subject a bit recently. Here's a few papers I've
managed to find:

    Minimal-Drift Heading Measurement using a MEMS Gyro for Indoor Mobile Robots
    Sung Kyung Hong * and Sungsu Park
    Dept. of Aerospace Engineering, Sejong University, Seoul, 143-747, Korea
    Sensors 2008, 8, 7287-7299; DOI: 10.3390/s8117287  www.mdpi.com/journal/sensors
    https://www.researchgate.net/publication/26551593_Minimal-Drift_Heading_Measurement_using_a_MEMS_Gyro_for_Indoor_Mobile_Robots
    https://www.mdpi.com/1424-8220/8/11/7287/pdf

   Indoor Mobile Robot Heading Detection Using MEMS Gyro North Finding Approach
   November 2011, DOI: 10.7746/jkros.2011.6.4.334
   Yuan-Long Wei, Min Cheol Lee, Chi yen Kim
   https://www.researchgate.net/publication/271336529_Indoor_Mobile_Robot_Heading_Detection_Using_MEMS_Gyro_North_Finding_Approach

   Using Inertial Sensors for Position and Orientation Estimation
   Manon Kok, Jeroen D. Hol and Thomas B. Schön (2017),
   Foundations and Trends in Signal Processing: Vol. 11: No. 1-2, pp 1-153.
   http://dx.doi.org/10.1561/2000000094

   Pose Estimation of a Mobile Robot Based on Fusion of IMU Data and Vision
   Data Using an Extended Kalman Filter
   Mary B. Alatise and Gerhard P. Hancke
   https://www.mdpi.com/1424-8220/17/10/2164

though the latter is a bit beyond what I'm looking for. There's a *lot* of
articles on MDPI's website. I'm also happy to have found the Sensors journal.

What would be nicer than digging around for an algorithm would be a Python
library that could give me a compass heading from a gyroscope (and possibly
an accelerometer) measurement. I tried writing my own using just a
magnetometer and had limited success (but then again I gave up too early).

At this point I've got six (!) different boards (BNO055, LSM9DS1,
LSM6DSOX, LISMDL, ICM20948, LSM303D) that all do similar things but all
seem to have issues and while the BNO055 does most everything, it seems
to have the most issues, like not being particularly compatible with a
Raspberry Pi (as one). All I *really* want is an accurate compass heading
for an indoor robot (therefore no GPS). Pie in the sky?

On a lighter note, my cat scanner now works pretty well. I'll hopefully
post a video to my YouTube channel sometime soon.

Cheers,