[Dprglist] Stability of CPU oscillator

John Swindle swindle at compuserve.com
Tue Jun 16 07:52:21 PDT 2020

Kip,
Thanks for writing.
As you probably read, Murray and Dave also recommended GPSDO, which I had rejected for size, weight, and cost, but Murray pointed me to a tiny, light, affordable GPS receiver with PPS. And then I realized I could characterize the CPU's TSC and use TSC without an external reference.
Then I realized I was calibrating the wrong reference: TSC tells me when the data are processed, not when they are sampled. TSC can tell me precisely when the processing takes place, but that is irrelevant. TSC is great for benchmarking, but I need a timestamp. That timestamp already exists:
Playrec, which uses portaudio, counts every sample coming from the audio adapter, regardless of whether the sample is processed. That means that "lost" samples are also counted, so the sample count is correct. The sample count is my timestamp. (Playrec also has an extremely coarse getStreamStartTime command, but its resolution is whole integer seconds.)
I am not sure whether playrec/portaudio uses the audio adapter's clock or whether it resamples using the CPU's clock. In my application, that's irrelevant because each audio adapter is on a separate CPU, so whichever clock is being used is the clock that I need to characterize. So now I will characterize the sample rates of the three audio adapters in the localizer and I think I'll have what I need.
Thank you all for getting me to think about what's really needed. I was about to add unnecessary hardware and collect unnecessary timing information. The existing parts of the localizer already have what I need. I just didn't see it before.
In the future, if I need an accurate, cheap, small, lightweight timing reference, I will look at GPS PPS again.
Later,John Swindle