[Dprglist] BNO-055 and the Rpi

Murray Altheim murray18 at altheim.com
Sat Jan 4 02:05:25 PST 2020

Doug Paradis wrote:
> Murray,
>
> I have enjoyed looking over the NZPRG website. I noticed that in your reply
> to Carl, that you had ruled out connecting the BNO-055 to the Raspberry Pi
> due to the clock-stretching issue with the Rpi I2C driver.

Hi Doug,

Thanks -- the blog and wiki are still pretty new so there's lots to be done,
and I'm filling things in as time permits.

Right now my partner and I are on holiday on New Zealand's South Island.
Yesterday we saw the coffee-coloured result of Australia's bushfires on the
Franz Josef glacier, the day before the sun a dull red eye peeking through
the haze and fog on the beach in Hokitika. I was in contact with my best
mate back up on the North Island and apparently all of New Zealand could
smell the smoke. It's hard to imagine how bad things are in Australia.

> There appears to be 3 approaches to making the BNO-055 work with the
> Raspberry Pi.
[...]

I'll obviously have a chance to actually deal with this once I'm home in a
few days, but I thought to note that I will need to keep the default I2C bus
as I'm planning to use a bunch of Pimoroni's Breakout Garden I2C sensors,
though I think on a quick glance at your links it seems it may be possible
to have more than one bus, i.e., to add a new bus and run the BNO-055 on
that. Dunno.

I'm curious about the book you've mentioning and if there's enough
information
in it for me to fix the problem. I haven't done any serious C programming in
probably 20 years and almost every solution to this issue (including running
on a slave processor as I was planning) seems to create a whole new project
with its own set of new requirements.

I was reading over the one of the BNO-055 documents from your links and
realised that I was going to have to have my robot go though some kind of
figure-8 manoeuvre in order to get it calibrated -- that should be fun.

But that is all for another day. Tomorrow we're off to a hot springs. Today
we saw three Kea parrots wandering around our car, a Tomtit, some South
Island robins, and some guinea pigs (the latter outside of the 116 year old
hotel in Otira that had a wolverine skin hanging on the wall). My partner was
thrilled as she really loves birds and guinea pigs, not so much about the
wolverine...

> I wish you and the NZPRG the best of luck.

Thanks Doug, it's very much appreciated!

Cheers,