[Dprglist] Using mSSD to boot Raspberry Pi 4

Doug Paradis paradug at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 07:53:40 PST 2020

-All,
    Following the directions that are in the YouTube video by Andreas
Spiess (the guy with the Swiss accent), I was able to get a Zheino 128GB
portable SSD to boot up my Raspberry Pi 4.

Links:
Andreas Spiess's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp6XW-fGVjo

Zheino 128GB SSD ($31):
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LBNSNCQ/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used the speed test mentioned in the video to measure the speed of both
the generic Microcenter SD card I was using and the new Zheino drive. The
results were a 5.5X increase in speed (SD card: 1466, Zheino SSD: 8100).
There are several other advantages to using a SSD over a SD card.

The only issue I had was that when I imaged the Zheino SSD, I couldn't get
the "boot" fat32 partition of the Rpi image to show up in Windows 10. So I
have to go through activating SSH, changing the keyboard configuration,
setting up WiFi, etc... again on the SSD when I was finished.  Since the
boot is not done natively yet on the Rpi 4, you still need the SD card. It
just transfers the boot up vector to the SSD (see video).

I thought this might be of interest to members.

Regards,
Doug P.