[Dprglist] Biped Robot Instructable

David Anderson davida at smu.edu
Sun Dec 27 11:38:00 PST 2020

Doug, thanks for the link.

I'm always looking for a bi-pedal design that is self-balancing, which
seems like the key to robust performance.   Like most designs available,
this one can't carry it's own power source and, let's face it, can
barely walk.  It's not clear that it can turn, but appears not to be
able to.  The Boston Dynamics folks advise, first get your robot to
balance, then worry about walking.  Not sure this project is an
improvement on all the other non-balancing bi-pedal projects out there,
from that standpoint.

https://www.robotshop.com/en/biped-development-platforms.html

(definitely cheaper though!)

Most intriguing for me is the work done on "passive dynamic walking" as
first proposed by Tad McGeer a decade ago.  Modeled on human walking and
exhibiting the same very low power requirements that humans seem to be
able to achieve:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOPED7I5Lac

Here's some work by Steve Collin's on the same concept:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2Q2Lx8O6Cg

It surely does LOOK a lot like the way we bi-pedal hominids walk.   It's
still fairly crude, and also doesn't appear to be able to turn.  Still...

my $0.02,

cheers!

dpa