[Dprglist] BeagleBone - enable UART?

markus markus at bibi.ca
Mon May 13 15:33:18 PDT 2019

can you use the `config-pin` tool to switch the functions of the
io-pins ?

I only started using the bbb a few weeks ago and ran into a similar
problem, and none of the online guides matched what I saw. As it turns
out bbb ships with an old bootloader in the eMMC which prevents the new
and necessary overlays to get loaded. Assuming you have a new version
of Debian installed there should be a script
  /opt/scripts/tools/version.sh

If you find something like "U-Boot 2016...." in there then that's most
likely your issue. You need to delete that with:
  sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk1 bs=1M count=10
and reboot.

Once I did that everything started to work as advertised.

For reference:
https://forum.digikey.com/t/how-to-list-uboot-overlays/1411

HTH,
Markus