[Dprglist] push telemetry to cloud?

Carl Ott carl.ott.jr at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 16:59:21 PDT 2019

Ed I'm with you.

I have 3 devices from FreedomPop, each with their own level of service. And
I've been pretty pleased with them - especially considering the cost (zero
if you stay under the limit)...

Note that FreedomPop was recently acquired by Red Pocket, so we'll have to
see how long the current deals continue
https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/red-pocket-mobile-buys-mvno-freedompop

I received an email from FreedomPop about the change of ownership. They
indicated no changes on the horizon. Time will tell if they maintain the
'free forever' levels.

Another alternative surfaces quite frequently -  https://ting.com/  .
I've activated ***many many many*** GSM SIMs on Ting at work.
I've been quite pleased with their service as a company, and their prices
are pretty good as retail consumer prices go.
The only caveat with Ting is that their GSM SIMs ride on T-Mobile, which to
this day still sometimes has coverage issues in certain areas.
But you can check for that with this site - I've found it to be pretty
accurate over large swaths of the US. *It will also help you understand
what band support you'll need in your radio module for any given location: *
https://ting.com/coverage
Having worked with Ting, it's clear to me why it's a common choice for IoT
in lots of the hobby / hacker communities...

- Carl