[Dprglist] Sample Retrieval vacuum cleaner

Doug Paradis paradug at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 09:11:22 PST 2019

John,
    Yes, a shop vac might have a role in a robot retrieving samples, but
there many much simpler ways to collect the objects. The one group that I
think has substantial experience in collecting items, is Iron Reign. They
have built many robots for various FIRST competitions which use a spinning
mechanism with a zip tie broom that sweeps items into a hopper. As i stated
in our previous message exchange, the rules do not require that the
specific objects be retrieved one at a time or be placed on the floor of
the home base (only in the home base).

   Also, the rules do not require the hunted objects to be in sight of the
home base, only that they be in the search area. There may be obstacles
between the home base and the object's location. So in my opinion truly
searching for the objects would be a better strategy, opposed to trying to
a  "collect them all and let god sort them out" method. We will see what
the contestants dream up in November.

   BTW, with the current state of technology available to hobbyists, I
think that vision is not only cheaper, but better. I challenge you to
outline an alternate method that is actually superior to vision in
performance for this task.

  I hope to see you compete. Start thinking about the contest and go for it.

Regards,
Doug P.