[Dprglist] Sample Retrieval vacuum cleaner

John Swindle swindle at compuserve.com
Fri Jan 18 21:00:22 PST 2019

Doug, et al, Good to see my emails to the list are no longer bounced. My comments about self-driving cars got me on the evil list for a while. (I would still rather be face-planted and rear-ended constantly than have any measurable chance that my car's software would kill me.) A solution to Sample Retrieval was voiced at the January meeting: a leafblower, but since there are no arena walls, that would not work. But a shop vac would. Seems that a statically-guided shop vac would win the contest. As usual, I am missing the point. Thank you for reminding me that vision processing is chosen not because it is good but because it is cheap. I'd forgotten that. Indeed, in my classes, I emphasize that the choice of processor, memory, and expansion bus has less to do with performance: It has most to do with what is cheap. I have a Kirby, but Hoover is better known for cleaning up. Seems like a solution to the contest. No height limit given. Best to you, a very patient person, John Swindle