[Dprglist] DPRG Annual Meeting Minutes and Rules for new competiton

John Swindle swindle at compuserve.com
Wed Jan 16 23:33:15 PST 2019

Doug, So, I assume the judges would consider it bad behavior if the robot pulverized everything on the floor and delivered all the debris to the home space. A hammer and vacuum miss the intent? The floor would be clean. Obviously, I think vision systems miss the whole point because anthropomorphism (visible light vision) forces the robot to be limited to what people can do, to the extraordinarily popular notion that vision is the thing to do, while sonar, IR, radar, LiDAR, UV and beyond are available and work much better than vision. We perceive what we do because we are not as good as butterflies (vision) and dogs (smell) and bats (hearing). We should not limit our machines to our limits, but that is what we do. Just grousing because I haven't come up with a way to do it with cheap speakers and a $10 toy robot. "If it can't be done with sound, it isn't worth doing." Working on that. Thanks for hosting another rousing annual kick-off.  Best to you and the group.John Swindle
#yiv0391179166 P {margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;}