[Dprglist] another wireless networking issue - headless Raspberry Pi

Carl Ott carl.ott.jr at gmail.com
Wed May 16 04:21:48 PDT 2018

Yup - I agree - 5 GHz seems the best & easiest bet - at least for indoors
e.g. at the Makerspace.  Every time I've sniffed at DMS, I've seen some
open 5 GHz channels, while at the same time every 2.4 GHz channel has at
least 9 co-channel interfering networks and in many cases 1 or more
overlapping networks.  It's a good recipe for "no workie".  I'll share my
findings after trying an open source driver with a dual band dongle on an
rPi Zero W...

Meanwhile - y'all might like this approach which I've stumbled on -

http://emmanuelgranatello.blogspot.com/2017/06/sharing-internet-over-long-range.html

https://hackaday.com/2017/06/20/long-range-wireless-internet/

Not sure if it would have enough bandwith for video, even low-res video,
but it does offer a nice looking solution also for outdoors...

Also, Mary found some links that suggest it's possible to run Wi-Fi
protocols over HAM radio frequencies - could be a very nice option for
those of us with HAM licenses...

Carl