[Dprglist] Ron's IMS presentation

John Swindle swindle at compuserve.com
Sun Mar 11 10:29:27 PDT 2018

Ron,

Thanks for the presentation on the very affordable and tiny IMS. Good stuff.

Not sure I had your email address, so this goes to the group, sorry if it's off topic.

The hang in the PC window that was displaying your raw data and the graphic might have been a console buffer overflow. I see this problem. I am running 24 small PCs that are searching for interesting numbers (no, it isn't bitcoin, but that would be nice), and after several days or weeks of running, displaying a few hundred thousand lines, several of them will hang in the output window of my program. While researching this, I found that there are bugs in the console libraries that result in the console overflowing and then hanging. In my case, after a few weeks of running, a console output window hang on one instance of the program sometimes causes another instance to crash completely. My systems that have the least memory crash first, and the ones with the most memory don't crash. (My program only uses 100KB of memory, so the program itself is not hogging memory.) Anyway, the console problem is fairly common problem and it might be biting you.

Best to you,
John Swindle