[Dprglist] Line following presentation at December Monthly meeting

Karim Virani pondersome64 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 15:51:47 PST 2018

Sounds cool. Iron Reign, my high school robotics team is also presenting on
Sunday. We will likely take up most of the first hour. This was cleared
with Ray. You might want to check in with him as he has other presentations
in the queue.

Iron Reign has benefited tremendously from DPRG feedback in the past. There
are about 5,000 teams that compete yearly in First Tech Challenge (FTC).
Last year the team advanced to the FTC World Championship where they earned
the Motivate Award. This year Iron Reign advanced from the first local
qualifier tournament and advanced to the North Texas Regional Championship
in February. On December 15th the team is hosting a 30 team qualifier
tournament at Townview. Once again we are inviting DPRG members to
volunteer to be judges in that tournament
<https://www.ironreignrobotics.com/>. Your perspective on what these teams
are doing is uniquely valuable to the students. Visit the team website to
learn more <https://www.ironreignrobotics.com/>.

The presentation will run something like this:

1. What is the game challenge this year? 3 minute video
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCjur2-knp0>.
2. What is the World Championship like?
3. Iron Reign judging presentation - the team gives a 15 minute dense
presentation of their activities over the season. The team would appreciate
feedback on how they can improve their presentation.
4. More demo of the robot and discussion of some of its build features
including its high torque arm, its superman subsystem and eventual hopes
for balancing.
5. Discussion of the Android control system. FTC teams use Android phones
paired into a robot controller for autonomous and low-level behaviors and a
driver station for remote control and telemetry. Iron Reign is
experimenting with OpenCV, Tensor Flow, Vuforia and is working on a custom
CNN to detect game elements. All vision algorithms run on the robot
controller phone.
6. Q&A if needed.

We don't want to set expectations too high. This is still early in the
season and many robot features are still in early development, but you'll
get a pretty in-depth overview of what high school robotics can be like
these days. We hope you will want to check it out.