[Dprglist] Level 1 Line-following Contest Course

Eric Yundt eric at facetcorp.com
Sat Aug 18 12:43:58 PDT 2018

DPRG,

I'm about to build a line-following course for our Rayo Pinky-Pie robot and
figured I might as well build one to DPRG's spec in case we are able to
remotely compete in an upcoming Line Following contest.  Referring to what
I think are the current rules (version: 20171111)
<https://dprgblog.files.wordpress.com/2018/04/line_following_v20171111.pdf>
the 3 elements are described nicely on 12"x12" squares, straight lines,
curves, double-curve w/6" radius curves, and the length is described as
approximately 300 inches.  From reviewing the Roborama 2015a video
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y9N1Rn4K8Y> and a 2015 Line Following
Workshop video <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8UIpx22STQ>, it looks like
the courses were composed of:

    Roborama 2015a:  4x8 squares - 6 straights, 24 curves (total length
~298")
    2015 Workshop: 6x6 squares - 12 straights, 22 curves (total length
~351")

How is the Novice course decided upon and how many straight, curve, and
double-curve elements should we make to be able to replicate whatever
course is laid down for Roborama 2018b?  Is the Novice course always on 4x8
squares?  We can build a course out of 122cm x 244cm plywood, or 30cm x
30cm ceramic tile -- I've never seen the vinyl squares you have been using
anywhere in Costa Rica.  I'd probably go with 6mm plywood which is sold in
122cm x 244cm sheets to match up with the standard 4' x 8' USA plywood and
use black 19mm PVC electrical tape.

As far as competition is concerned, are remote competitors still allowed?
I recall back in some early Roboramas we did allow long-distance
competitors to compete, but that was 20 years ago.  We're going to do this
anyway, but I think our kids (and maybe fledgling Robot Club) would get a
kick out of building for a real competition in los EE.UU.

What do you think?  Can I get some official guidance on this?

Thanks,

Eric